Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?
To be a candidate for bariatric surgery, the following criteria must apply:
- A Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or more. Those individuals with the following pre-existing, co-morbid conditions of diabetes, sleep apnea, and/or hypertension are eligible if their BMI is 35-40.
- Candidates must have tried non-surgical treatments such as dietary programs, behavioral modification, and exercise.
- The candidate is expected to be fully informed about the surgery and what can be expected both as to weight loss and possible complications. This includes the following mandatory education:
- Attendance at a free information session
- Review of online videos pertaining to your surgery
- Attendance at nutrition classes
- Attendance at support group
- The candidate must demonstrate willingness to commit to healthier lifestyle changes.