Welcome to one of Pennsylvania’s largest Emergency Departments, home to more than 100 treatment areas. Operating 24 hours a day, seven days a week, we are ready to handle emergencies as they arise. Our community-focused care is available for all ages, from newborn to geriatric patients.
Board-certified emergency physicians, specialty trained emergency nurses, and specially trained support staff are on hand at all times. A wide range of services and capabilities allows us to assess and address cases of traumatic illness, injury, and other emergency conditions.
When you arrive in the emergency room, you will be greeted by a registered nurse, who will take your vital signs and a brief history before assigning you a treatment location. You will then be evaluated, treated for your illness of injury and presented with a diagnosis and treatment options for your illness or injury. In some cases, the registered nurse may begin therapy to expedite treatment.
With a focus on teamwork and technology, we ensure patients are stabilized before transferring them to appropriate specialists as necessary.
- Acute Care serves the most seriously ill and injured patients in 38 specialty and multi-purpose treatment rooms. The unit also evaluates patients for medical, surgical, gynecologic, and pediatric emergencies.
- Intermediate/Fast Track Care is designed to treat people with less acute problems as quickly as possible.
- Observation houses patients requiring more prolonged emergency care. It consists of 24 beds that allow for continued monitoring and observing.
- Our Level II Trauma Center provides care to acutely injured patients of all ages.
- Pediatrics attends to the needs of our youngest patients.
- The Certified Chest Pain Center offers immediate cardiac evaluation of patients presenting with chest pain.
- Ours is the only Joint Commission-certified Advanced Primary Stroke Center in Berks County.
- Sexual assault nurse examiners are available 24/7.
If you are currently experiencing a medical emergency, call 911.
To reach us, contact:
PO Box 16052
Reading, PA 19612-6052
Located on the Lower Level of N-Building at the West Reading Campus.
For more information, call 484-628-EMER (3637).
Valet service offered.