Reading Health System Announces Opening of New, State-of-the-Art Pharmacy at Reading Hospital
October 29, 2013
Reading Health System announced today that Reading Hospital will open a new, state-of-the-art pharmacy on November 4,, 2013. The new pharmacy, designed and built with a focus on medical quality and patient safety, will occupy 7,400 square feet, an expansion of nearly 50 percent. Services from four locations throughout the 665-bed Reading Hospital in West Reading, PA will be consolidated in one location when the new pharmacy opens. Satellite pharmacies will remain strategically located in the Emergency Department and in the Cancer Infusion Center.
The new pharmacy demonstrates Reading Hospital’s commitment to its distinction as a leader in operational and clinical excellence. It is supported by state-of-the-art features and technology including:
- RIVA, a fully automated robotic IV compounding system used to automatically and accurately compound aseptic preparations while outputting admixtures in either syringes or bags. The automation of these repetitive and complex tasks reduces the incidence of errors and contamination. Reading Hospital is approximately the 30th facility in the United States to install the RIVA robotic system, and the only one in the region.
- The RIVA robotic system is located in a newly constructed “clean room” environment which is designed to meet and exceed standards set by the United States Pharmacopeia USP 797. The use of the RIVA Robot will alleviate the reliance of compounding pharmacies.
- DoseEdge Pharmacy system, providing patient-specific compounding. The system automates the process of routing, preparing, inspecting, tracking and reporting on IV and oral liquid doses, providing transparency, visibility and documentation for the entire dose preparation and dispensing process. DoseEdge provides a barcode-enabled ingredient verification to confirm correct drug selection and minimize drug waste. Automatic dose and dilution calculations minimize the need for manual calculations.
- Omnicell Workflow Rx, an automated inventory management system for the entire central pharmacy. Ensures the right medications reach the right patient by integrating an inventory management carousel system with bar code packaging to automate the ordering, receiving, stocking, and filling processes. The system also integrates Reading Hospital’s electronic health record (Reading HealthConnect).
- MedBoard: A web-based Medication Tracking System that records and tracks preparation and delivery activities to track when medications leave the pharmacy and where they are delivered.
- The new facility will consolidate four pharmacy locations to allow pharmacy leadership to work side by side with the staff to better serve our patients.
Reading Hospital Pharmacy Department Key Statistics in 2012
- 102 staff members, including 55 pharmacists
- 5 pharmacy clinical specialists to round on patients with physicians
- Affiliated with 5 regional schools of pharmacy
- Two pharmacy resident positions
Reading Health System is an integrated network that includes Reading Hospital, a 665-bed acute care hospital located in West Reading, and Reading Health Rehabilitation Hospital, featuring a 50-bed skilled nursing unit and a 60-bed inpatient rehabilitation unit. Core services include cardiovascular, cancer, trauma, emergency, women’s and children’s, including a Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, inpatient and outpatient surgical services, joints/orthopedics, and neurological services, among many others. Reading Health System provides: office-based primary care and specialty care through the Reading Health Physician Network; in-home nursing care and health services through the Reading Health Home Care, and continuing care retirement living through The Highlands at Wyomissing. An extensive network of outpatient services are provided through outpatient centers and QuickCare walk-in centers throughout the region.