The Sleep Center of The Reading Hospital and Medical Center is now providing sleep studies for children on site (including overnight stays) in collaboration with dedicated pediatric sleep specialists from world-renowned St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children.
This new offering allows parents of children with sleep issues to seek treatment close to home, eliminating the need to travel out of our region.
Medical Director of the Sleep Center, Sowmya Lakshminarayanan, MD, noted, “We provide the medical expertise, advanced technology, and family-focused environment to help determine the cause of a child’s sleep issues and we work closely with physicians to provide their young patients with a personalized plan of care.”
Children who may be candidates for sleep studies include those who:
• experience increasing daytime sleepiness
• have episodes of snoring, gasping, and/or choking during sleep
• are mouth breathers
• complain of morning headaches
• display significant behavioral changes, including attention deficit
• exhibit failure to thrive
• encounter bed wetting or other unusual events during sleep
• experience difficulty initiating and/or maintaining sleep