Reading Health's sports medicine program helps you stay on the field, track, or trail. We help you get the most from your body and to minimize your time away from sports, work, or life’s activities due to injury. We also promote lifelong fitness and wellness, and work with patients who are interested in exercise, becoming active again, or becoming active for the first time.
We believe in a small staff-to-patient ratio, a personal touch, and safe-yet-aggressive, goals to full recovery. Our team is comprised of experienced certified athletic trainers who are supported by physicians with specialized interest and training in sports medicine.
Approximately 90 percent of all sports injuries do not require surgery. Our goal is to rehabilitate you back to normal activity without having to go through the often long road to recovery from surgery.
We offer a full range of services that focus on a healthy lifestyle and exercise. Our comprehensive approach includes in-house x-ray, casting, and bracing and injury rehabilitation.
- Compartment Syndrome Testing – This test for exertional compartment syndrome involves the placement of a pressure catheter into muscle compartments of the affected leg(s) before and after an exercise test on a treadmill.
- Prolotherapy – Prolotherapy is an injection therapy aimed at harnessing the body’s inherent healing power to control pain and dysfunction in ligaments, tendons, and joints.
- Exercise-Induced Asthma Testing – We provide on-site testing to determine whether or not you have exercise-induced asthma, or sever difficulty breathing brought on by activity.
- PIAA Pre-Participation Sports Physicals – The sports physical helps determine whether it is safe for you to participate in a particular sport. The state of Pennsylvania requires that kids and teens have a sports physical before they can start a new sport or begin a new competitive season.
- Comprehensive Athletic Care at Sporting Events – Our certified athletic trainers (ATs) have a combined 100+ years of athletic coverage and injury treatment in Berks County and surrounding areas. Each of our athletic trainers are specifically trained to provide emergency care, injury assessment and evaluation and return to play decisions. Our athletic trainers cover individual games, sports teams, tournaments, camps, leagues, and special events.
- Athletic Training Consulting Services – We develop emergency action plans for your league, team, school, or venue to help improve safety of the athletes playing and to reduce liability risks. We also help develop plans for adequate coverage and supplies for leagues, tournaments, and camps.
- Strength and Conditioning Services – We develop and help implement customized team conditioning programs for schools, leagues, and clubs by evaluating the specific needs of the organization. These programs also focus on injury risk reduction training where safety and form are the priority. Paying attention to these details teaches the athletes how to help reduce injuries such as shoulder pain, shin splints, ACL tears, and more.