Department of Surgery Internship
The Department of Surgery Internship Program at Reading Hospital is a non-credit, paid opportunity for you to work side-by-side with experienced perioperative personnel.
Real Experience for the Real World
You will experience preoperative, intraoperative, and postoperative care in a technologically advanced teaching hospital and establish an excellent foundation for your career. The internship will prepare you to better understand perioperative care focusing on the entire perioperative phase, ensuring a safe and satisfying experience for our patients with top quality outcomes.
What You'll Learn
As a perioperative intern, you will:
- Learn about medical care in the following specialties: Trauma, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Vascular Surgery, Bariatric Surgery, Orthopedic Surgery, and Neurosurgery.
- Assist the healthcare team to provide quality direct and indirect patient care for patients under the direction of designated representatives.
- Observe in the Operating Room and assist with care of a patient as directed by the surgeon.
- Have the opportunity to be co-assigned with designated physicians and demonstrate an awareness of the diagnostic and treatment plan for patients.
This program begins during the summer break.
How to Apply
To be considered for summer employment, applicants must submit:
- A resume
- A letter of recommendation from a teacher, former employer, or other adult familiar with the student in a professional capacity
- An official transcript of college grades
- A letter of intent
Application materials deadline: March 10, 2017.
Participants must be enrolled in college and interested in a medical career.
For more information, email Mary McDevitt at Mary.McDevitt@readinghealth.org or call 484-628-8347.
Department of Surgery
PO Box 16052
Reading, PA 19612-6052